“Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
The BEST Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
This is the Best Chicken Spaghetti Casserole! It is super easy to throw together and there are tricks for short cuts, too! You can make it ahead and refrigerate it for 24 hours or even freeze it for 3 months.
It is the perfect pot luck dish. Keep one on hand in the freezer to take to friends in need or for when you just don’t feel like cooking.
As long as you have the basic ingredients you can add anything to this casserole to make it unique. You will need pasta, chicken, cheese, and can of cream soup. We prefer cream of mushroom.
The recipe calls for chicken broth but if you don’t have it, don’t stress. Simply add some seasonings to the water while boiling the chicken. These could be salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, anything you would like.
This would be a great way to use left over fried, baked, or grilled chicken. Just shred it and your ready to create your best chicken spaghetti.
You could even cheat and use a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket instead of boiling your own.
Recently I made this while visiting my great-aunt because it reheats wonderfully and we had it to eat on for a couple of days. She volunteers at her local senior center which serves lunch daily and it is now on their menu. I am honored! I can’t wait to see how the recipe evolves in their hands.
As written, this recipe makes about 8 servings but it can easily be tweaked to serve more or less. The leftovers are great so even for just Steve and I, we make the full recipe.
Begin by boiling your chicken in 1 cup of chicken broth and enough water to cover by about 1 inch. Chicken is done when it can be pulled apart with a fork.
While the chicken is cooking, sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter until onion is translucent. Set aside.
Remove chicken and place in a large bowl. Keep the broth!
At this point, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray.
Bring broth back to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 7-9 minutes until reaches al denote’, you want to still be firm in the center. It will soften as the casserole bakes absorbing the flavors of the other ingredients.
Shred chicken in large bowl.
Add cream of mushroom soup, onion, garlic, and green chilies. Do not drain the green chilies. Stir to mix well.
Add 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese to the chicken mixture and stir.
Once the pasta is done, strain it but reserve the broth. We’re not done with the broth yet.
Place pasta in casserole dish.
Add 1/2 cup (or I use the soup can) of broth to the chicken mixture, stir. You want the mixture to be be slightly “soupy” so it doesn’t dry out while baking. Add more broth 1/2 cup/can at a time if needed.
Putting it Together
Pour chicken mixture into casserole dish and stir with the pasta.
Cover with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Your Best Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is now ready to bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted!
If you are going to refrigerate or freeze it, cover it tightly with aluminum foil before baking. It can be refrigerated for 24 hours before baking or frozen for 3 months.
Serve with a salad and garlic bread, enjoy!
- Boneless chicken
- Chicken broth
- Green chilies
- Cream of Mushroom soup
- Spaghetti pasta
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Large mixing bowl
- Large pot
- 8 inch saute pan
- 9 x 13 casserole dish
Shop all cookware here.
Leave a comment and let me know what you think! Did your family like The BEST Chicken Spaghetti Casserole?
Best Chicken Spaghetti
- 9 x 13 dish
- Large pot
- 8 inch saute pan
- 2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can chopped green chilis can substitute ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz spaghetti pasta
- Boil chicken in large pot with 1 cup chicken broth and water to cover.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 T of butter until onion is tender.
- Remove chicken from pot when cooked through, reserving the broth
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Shred chicken in large bowl. Add cream of mushroom soup, green chilies, onion, and garlic.Mix well. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and stir.
- Bring broth to a boil and add spaghetti pasta, cook 7-9 minutes or until al dente' (slightly firm). Strain pasta but reserve broth.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place pasta in baking dish.
- Add ½ to 1 cup of broth/pasta water to chicken mixture. The mixture should be slightly "soupy" so your chicken spaghetti is not dry.
- Add chicken mixture to pasta in baking dish and stir.
- Cover with remaining shredded cheddar cheese and bake 30-45 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread.