This post contains affiliate links that, if you make a purchase through, I may get a small commission without additional cost to you.
A while back, my husband mentioned his mother used to make pepper steak and mashed potatoes. It was one of his favorite meals growing up. I, on the other hand, had never had pepper steak I liked. Anytime I tried it, usually at a buffet, it was tough. Therefore, I tended to avoid it.
After his father passed away, I decided it would be nice gesture for me to get his mother’s recipe and make it for him. I love it!
It is so tender and yummy you can cut it with a fork!
I shared the recipe with my sister, her husband and kids love it too! Now, I am going to share it with you. It is kid tested and approved!
I think the key is in the simmering. It needs to simmer about 30 minutes. That gives you time to prepare the mashed potatoes ( our preference), rice, or pasta to serve along with it. Or, help someone with their homework, empty the dishwasher, etc. My sister gets on her elliptical!
You want to use a thin, I mean, thin cut of meat. I have used round steak and carne asada. I buy what is on sale!
Cut your meat into one inch strips and sear in a tablespoon of hot olive oil. Be sure to use a large skillet with a lid because all your veggies and meat will simmer together. This is the skillet I use.
Once the meat is no longer “bloody”, that’s what Georgiana said, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Cut your peppers and onions into one inch strips and place in skillet and saute until they start to become tender.
Return the meat to the skillet, add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30 minutes!
At this point, remove the meat, peppers, onions, and add the cornstarch slur to the liquid to thicken it.
Hint: My sister didn’t tell her kids what it was called so they couldn’t say they didn’t like it before they tried it!
I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do! Next time I make it I will take pictures of the process and update this post!
Georgiana’s Homemade Pepper Steak
- 1.5 lbs thin cut round or skirt steak 1″ strips
- 1 green bell pepper 1″ strips
- 1/2 onion quartered, sliced
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T corn starch
- Heat olive oil in skillet over med-high heat. Sprinkle meat with season salt. Sear meat in oil, about 1 minute each side and remove from skillet.Saute pepper & onion in same until they just begin to soften. Reduce heat to medium and add steak.Add broth & Worcestershire. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Allow to simmer 30 minutes or until meat is fork tender.Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup warm water. Remove meat and peppers from skillet. Add cornstarch mixture to liquid in skillet and bring to a boil stirring until thickened. Return meat and peppers to skillet.Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.