“Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Personally, I don’t really care too much for traditional beef stew. My husband loves it on a cold day though, so what do I do? I create my own easy slow cooker steak stew recipe, of course! Stews in my experience have a ton of tomotoes. Don’t get me wrong, I like tomatoes, but I want to be able to taste everything else as well.
I also can’t stand the texture of stew meat…yuk. Hence, I am using steak for this easy slow cooker steak stew.
In creating my recipe I am using a chuck steak from the discount bin at my local grocery store. You know, the “go-to bin” in the meat section to see what treasures you may find. I wasn’t sure what I would do with it when I bought it, but I pulled it out of the freezer for this and it was perfect!
For me, the use of fresh vegetables, not canned (I do use canned tomatoes) or frozen, is a must. You could always use can vegetables if you choose. There is nothing wrong with either, just personal preference.
I like to do all chopping and prep work before I start so I don’t feel rushed or leave anything out.
So, I start by chopping all of my vegetables. Go ahead put them in your slow cooker as you chop them.
Cut the steak into about 1.5″- 2″ cubes, trimming away excess fat. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the meat and sear all sides. Remove and add to slow cooker.
You could absolutely prep this the night before! Put everything in the slow cooker except the tomatoes, broth, and water. Place it in the refrigerator then in the morning add the liquids and turn it on.
Follow us on Social Media for frequent updates
Chuck Steak Stew
- 12 oz chuck steak cubed
- 2 c beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 c green and/or red bell pepper chopped
- 4 small/medium potatoes chopped 2″ pieces
- 1 can Italian tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 c carrots chopped
- 1/4 c celery chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c water
- salt & pepper to taste
- In medium sauce pan, sear steak in olive oil.
- Place all chopped ingredients in your slow cooker.
- Add seared meat, tomatoes, broth, and water. Liquid should just cover ingredients. Add more water if necessary.
- Slow cook on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Once tender, the stew can be left on warm if it’s not time to serve. The longer it simmers the better the flavor! Leftover are awesome!Serve with cornbread,crackers, or tortillas.
Be sure to check out my other:
Subscribe to my email list to receive new recipes straight to your inbox! Don’t worry, I don’t share your information!