“Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Red Beans and Beef
Red beans & beef, comfort food for a cold day! You get to enjoy the aroma all day in anticipation of dinner. This is one of my favorite winter meals. It’s hearty and the leftovers are yummy! (Freezes well, too!)
My husband calls this chili, I disagree because there are no tomatoes in it, chili has tomatoes. Another topic of discourse at my house it whether chili has beans, he says it does, I say it doesn’t. Who really cares though, this is yummy and warms the tummy when it’s cold outside!
Comfort food for a cold day!
There is nothing like sitting down with a hot bowl of comfort food when it is cold and /or wet outside. It not only feeds your body but the warmth feeds your soul. This recipe delivers! It is delicious and you can eat the leftover for days or freeze to reheat later. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
How to make Red Beans and Beef
Start by sorting through the beans. Sometimes rocks get in the package and no one wants to bite down on a rock.
Take out any beans you wouldn’t want to eat. I removed these.
One pound of beans usually gives me 4-6 cups of eatable beans.
Cover in cold water and place in refrigerator over night.
Brown 1 pound of ground beef and drain.
Coarsely chop one medium onion. If you have picky eaters, you could substitute 1 tablespoon of onion powder. We like onions!
Place everything in slow cooker. YUM!
Cover with water and stir. Beef broth would add flavor if you have it. I would use 2 cups of broth then finish covering with water.
I serve good, old fashioned, iron skillet corn bread with this, I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do! Leave a comment and let know what you think. Stay warm!
Shop Slow Cookers
Follow us on Social Media for frequent updates
Red Beans & Beef
- slow cooker or crock pot
- 6 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3-5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- Sort beans to remove any rocks or ugly beans, any you would not want to eat.
- Rinse beans well in cold water, then place in a large bowl and cover with water. Place in refrigerator. Allow beans to soak overnight.
Ready to Cook
- Drain beans and rinse in cold water, place in slow cooker and cover with fresh water.
- Brown hamburger meat and drain grease. Place in slow cooker.
- Add onion, 3 T chili powder (or more to taste), garlic powder, and pepper, stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 8 hours or until tender.
Don't want to soak your beans overnight?
- If you want to skip the overnight soak, you can place the beans in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a rapid boil, remove from heat and cover. Let sit 1 hour.
- This can be prepared on the stove top as well. Once the beans have soaked (either overnight or by method above) place beans in large pot and cover with clean water. Add onion, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper and simmer 2 hours. Add beef and cook another 1-2 hours until beans are tender.